Routledge English Language Introductions cover core areas of language study and are one-stop resources for students.
Assuming no prior knowledge, books in the series offer an accessible overview of the subject, with activities, study questions, sample analyses, commentaries, and key readings – all in the same volume. The innovative and flexible ‘two-dimensional’ structure is built around four sections – introduction, development, exploration, and extension – which offer self-contained stages for study. Each topic can also be read across these sections, enabling the reader to build gradually on the knowledge gained.
Global Englishes, Third Edition, previously published as World Englishes, has been comprehensively revised and updated and provides an introduction to the subject that is both accessible and comprehensive.
Key features of this best-selling textbook include:
- coverage of the major historical, linguistic, and sociopolitical developments in the English language from the start of the seventeenth century to the present day
- exploration of the current debates in global Englishes, relating to its uses as mother tongue in the US, UK, Antipodes, and post-colonial language in Africa, South and Southeast Asia, and lingua franca across the rest of the globe, with a new and particularly strong emphasis on China
- a range of texts, data and examples draw from emails, tweets and newspapers such as The New York Times, China Daily and The Straits Times
- readings from key scholars including Alastair Pennycook, Henry G. Widdowson and Lesley Milroy
- activities that engage the reader by inviting them to draw on their own experience and consider their orientation to the particular topic in hand.
Global Englishes, Third Edition provides a dynamic and engaging introduction to this fascinating topic and is essential reading for all students studying global Englishes, English as a lingua franca, and the spread of English in the world today.
We Also Recommend