- Offers the first step-by-step treatment of advanced techniques in experimental phonetics using speech corpora and downloadable software, including the R programming language
- Introduces methods of analyzing phonetically-labelled speech corpora, with the goal of testing hypotheses that often arise in experimental phonetics and laboratory phonology
- Incorporates an extensive set of exercises and answers to reinforce the techniques introduced
- Accessibly written with easy-to-follow computer commands and spectrograms of speech
- Companion website at www.wiley.com/go/harrington, which includes illustrations, video tutorials, appendices, and downloadable speech corpora for testing purposes.
- Discusses techniques in digital speech processing and in structuring and querying annotations from speech corpora
- Includes substantial coverage of analysis, including measuring gestural synchronization using EMA, the acoustics of vowels, consonant overlap using EPG, spectral analysis of fricatives and obstruents, and the probabilistic classification of acoustic speech data
We Also Recommend