Thoroughly updated to encompass the significant technological advances since the publication of the first edition, Electric and Hybrid Vehicles: Design Fundamentals, Second Edition presents the design fundamentals, component sizing, and systems interactions of alternative vehicles. This new edition of a widely praised, bestselling textbook maintains the comprehensive, systems-level perspective of electric and hybrid vehicles while covering the hybrid architectures and components of the vehicle in much greater detail. The author emphasizes technical details, mathematical relationships, and design guidelines throughout the text.
New to the Second Edition
- New chapters on sizing and design guidelines for various hybrid architectures, control strategies for hybrid vehicles, powertrain component cooling systems, and in-vehicle communication methods
- New sections on modeling of energy storage components, tire-road force mechanics, compressed air-storage, DC/DC converters, emission control systems, electromechanical brakes, and vehicle fuel economy
- Reorganization of power electronics, electric machines, and motor drives sections
- Enhanced sections on mechanical components that now include more technical descriptions and example problems
- An emphasis on the integration of mechanical and electrical components, taking into account the interdisciplinary nature of automotive engineering
As an advisor to the University of Akron’s team in the Challenge X: Crossover to Sustainable Mobility, Dr. Husain knows first-hand how to teach students both the fundamentals and cutting-edge technologies of the next generation of automotives. This text shows students how electrical and mechanical engineers must work together to complete an alternative vehicle system. It empowers them to carry on state-of-the-art research and development in automotive engineering in order to meet today’s needs of clean, efficient, and sustainable vehicles.
We Also Recommend