In times of rising expectations and decreasing resources for the public sector, performance management is high on the agenda. Increasingly, the value of the performance management systems themselves is under scrutiny, with more attention being paid to the effectiveness of performance management in practice. This new edition has been revised and updated to examine:
- performance in the context of current public management debates, including emerging discussions on the New Public Governance and neo-Weberianism;
- the many definitions of performance and how it has become one of the most contested agendas of public management;
- the so-called perverse effects of using performance indicators;
- the technicalities of performance measurement in a five step process: prioritising measurement, indicator development, data collection, analysis and reporting; and
- the future challenges and directions of performance management
Performance Management in the Public Sector 2nd edition offers an approachable insight into a complex theme for practitioners and public management students alike.
We Also Recommend